Playing the Indian Card

Thursday, December 08, 2005

The Canadian Election

Now is the time, no doubt, for all good men to come to the aid of the party. Yet I am still silent. My apologies. This has a lot to do with getting ready for Christmas and more to do with getting ready to go off on vacation to an undisclosed location in Sri Lanka.

But it is also that the Canadian election is just too depressing. As the polls sit, it will just be another Liberal minority about as before. The only movement I've seen so far is between the Liberals and the NDP. And the media have begun their usual full-court press against the Conservative leader and his message.

Of course, things could change after Christmas, once people begin focusing more on the election.

Hey! That could go for me as well!

But even if Harper gets a minority, it isn't enough to break through. He'd have to count on the support of the BQ for legislation, and there is very little those two parties have in common. I can see the Liberals losing the election, yet still hanging on to power by making a formal coalition with the NDP. Or another short minority like Joe Clark's.

I have already voted, by the way. Kudos to Elections Canada for making it possible. The ballot arrived from Canada by courier.

1 comment:

TheTorontoTory said...

I am a pessimist about the election myself. There are going to be no major breakthroughs that is for sure. The least we can hope for is gradual realization of Liberal coruption and an eventual Tory majority. You never know, it might actually happen in my lifetime!