Playing the Indian Card

Saturday, October 09, 2004

US Presidential Debate: The Sequel

I think Bush won handily, although the early polls give the edge to Kerry. Kerry is good, no question. But I thought he looked a few times as though he’d been hit upside the head with a wet fish.

The blows seemed to be landing.

It struck me that no good Catholic can in conscience vote for Kerry. I do not think this is too strong a statement. It is not just that Kerry says he backs abortion. He also represented morality as a matter of individual choice, of personal faith. Now, to accept that, you must reject Catholic teaching on faith and morals, because Catholicism teaches above all else that morality is objective and binding on all. You cannot reject Catholic teaching on faith and morals and be a Catholic. It would be possible to say “abortion is a sin, but I’m going to do it anyway.” It would be possible to say “abortion is a sin, but I am going to permit others to do it anyway.” But it is not possible to say “abortion is a sin for me, as a Catholic, but not for you.”

Which it seems to me is what Kerry said.

No comments: